The following are WESM’s procedures for disciplinary referrals:
- All disciplinary referrals should be sent directly to our Intervention Office—Room A4. Referred students must be in possession of a completed referral form or a notice that a referral was submitted online through ISIS.
- In the Intervention Office, the referred student will have his/her ID scanned into a electronic tracking system. This will ensure that he/she will receive an appropriate consequence for his/her violation of school rules. The responder for the electronic referral will follow up on the appropriate action. Teachers and parents will be notified of those actions
- If the student is referred for severe disciplinary infractions, he/she will be sent to our Dean, Mr. Azzam. If the student is in need of counseling, he/she will be sent to his/her counselor, assistant principal or the assigned responder.
When a teacher refers a student out of class, it should be for one of the following reasons:
- The student has committed a crime.
- The student has demonstrated behaviors (or is threatening to demonstrate behaviors) that make the classroom unsafe.
- The student is disrupting the classroom environment (and the teacher has already implemented all applicable classroom interventions).
- The student is in need of immediate counseling.
Before making a referral, teachers should implement any applicable interventions within his/her classroom as noted on the ODR. Some examples include:
- Seat change
- Individual conference with the student
- Phone conference with parent/guardian
- In-person conference with parent/guardian
Please note that our Dean, Mr. Ed Azzam, can be contacted at extension 2473 or via the Main Office (extension 2401).