- According to Article IX, Section 3.3 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, teachers are expected to be present at school ten minutes before the first period and ten minutes after the last period of the day. Per WESM policy, classrooms should be opened by the time at which the first bell rings. Teachers are highly encouraged to wait at their classroom doors to welcome students. Before allowing students to enter, please ensure that they are compliant with all WESM policies, including those that dictate dress code and the use of electronic devices.
- Teachers may be expected to participate in after school faculty meetings up to three times per month. Please see the school's master calendar for specific dates of these meetings.
- Teachers are to remain on school grounds during the regular school day. (This includes conference periods.) Teachers who need to leave campus for any reason must obtain the permission of an administrator and sign out in the Main Office (Room A2).
- Teachers may leave school grounds during their regular duty-free lunch period. Upon leaving, they are expected to sign out in the Main Office (Room A2); upon return to campus, they must sign in prior to the first bell.
- Please retrain from scheduling medical or dental appointments during the school day, except in emergencies. For every hour absent (including conference period), an hour will be charged to illness time.
Signing In and Out
- According to Article IX, Section 2.0 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, all teachers must sign in upon arrival and out upon departure from school.
- The sign-in card / arrival book is located in the Main Office and is a legal document for payroll purposes.
Reporting Teacher Absences
Teachers who find it necessary to be absent due to illness for for personal reasons should follow the following procedures:
- As soon as possible, notify the school's office manager, either in person or by calling 310-338-2403.
- If you provide early notification (before 3:00 p.m. on the day prior to the anticipated absence), the office manager will call Subfinder on your behalf.
- If you are not able to reach the office manager prior to this time, it is your responsibility to call Subfinder (877-528-7378). You must call subfinder as early as possible (no later than 6:00 a.m. on the morning of the absence). Once you have called Subfinder, you must also call the office manager on the morning of the absence (between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m.)
After an absence, the teacher must give notice of intent to return by notifying the office manager no later than 2:00 p.m. on the day before he/she intends to return. In the event that the teacher fails to notify the school, (if both the substitute and the regular teacher report the next day) the substitute, not the regular teacher, will be allowed to work and be paid for the day.
If a teacher is absent one or more days because of illness or injury, a "Certification of Illness or Injury" Form (60.82B) must be signed by the teacher before illness pay may be received. (The form is available in the main office.)
If a teacher is absent for more than five consecutive days because of illness or injury, the same form (60.82B) must be signed by by the teacher and a physician.
All teachers (including those with 1st period conferences) are expected to sign in and remain on campus at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the school day. Any teacher who expects to arrive late should notify the main office as early as possible.